CLASS 2: Culinary Arts
CHAIRPERSON: Betty Renaud (819) 459-3202
Committee: Jennifer Villeneuve, Dianna Lachapelle, Donna Carpenter
RULES & REGULATIONS
See “RULES & REGULATIONS OF THE N.L.A.S.”
Entries accepted at main hall on Thursday July 13, 2017 from 3-10pm
Exhibits are to be picked up on Sunday, July 16, 2017 from 4-5pm
HOME BAKING TIPS FOR EXHIBITORS
• No commercial pie filling allowed.
• Place all food on paper plates & cover with Zip-Loc bag.
• No plastic wrap.
• Please attach entry tags to the outside of the plastic bags.
• Pies and cakes can be removed on Friday afternoon after 1pm as a slice of each will be displayed instead of the whole exhibit after judging.
• Our theme is “Oh Canada : 150 Years” –
please try to include this in your entries!
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTIONS 1 – 4:
1st $20; 2nd – $15; 3rd $10
1. Homecraft President’s Special:
A picnic basket packed for a picnic to celebrate Canada Day including homemade buns, homemade jam and craft item or game to enjoy during the picnic.
Sponsored by Betty Renaud, Homecraft Chair
2. Lloyd and Dorothy Reid Memorial Special:
Queen Elizabeth Cake baked in an 8″ or 9″ square pan. First prize-winning entry will become property of the Sponsor.
Sponsored by The Reid Family, Almonte
3. Cecil & Shirley Brydges Memorial Special:
Old fashioned plain doughnuts.
Sponsored by their twins, Donna (Rod Carpenter) & Dianna (Gilbert Lachapelle)
CARTER SHOWS SPECIALS
First prize entries for each special become the property of Carter Shows.
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTION 5:
1st $40; 2nd – $25; 3rd $10
4. Carter Shows Apple Pie Special
8” or 9” Double crust apple pie
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTION 6:
1st $25; 2nd – $15; 3rd $10
5. Carter Shows Butter Tart Special, 4 to be exhibited
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTIONS 6 to 35
(Unless otherwise stated):
1st $15; 2nd – $10; 3rd $5
BREADS AND BUNS, MUFFINS AND COOKIES
6. Tea Biscuits (3)
7. Banana Bread, mini or one half loaves to be displayed
8. White Buns (3)
9. Bran Muffins (3) no liners
10. Lemon Squares, include recipe (3)
11. Chocolate Chip or Gluten Free Cookie, include recipe (3)
12. Cookies made from a cake mix, include recipe (3)
3 pieces to be exhibited
13. Chocolate Fudge
14. Family Favourite Candy, include recipe
TARTS AND PIES
*After judging exhibitor may pick up their pie entered, minus 1 piece, on Friday July 14, 2017. Please indicate if you will be picking up your pie or donating it to NLAS.
15. Pie Crust baked in a pan
16. Butterscotch Pie, whole pie
17. Strawberry tarts (3)
18. White Cake, ½ cake
19. Decorated Cupcakes, using theme (3), Only decorations to be judged.
20. Failure! Any baked item that didn’t turn out.
Junior / Youth
21. OAAS Chocolate Chip Cookie Competition, 3, see rules at end of this section.
CHILDREN 7-10 YEARS
22. No Bake Cookies (3)
23. Best Trail Mix, 500ml in Ziploc bag
CHILDREN 11-14 YEARS
24. Decorated Rice Krispie Squares (3)
25. Decorated Cupcake, using the fair theme. Only decoration to be judged.
CHILDREN 15-18 YEARS
26. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (3)
27. Decorated Cake, 1 layer, using fair theme. Only decoration to be judged.
TIPS FOR EXHIBITORS
• Any size sealed jars will be accepted. Any jars not properly sealed will be disqualified. NO WAX PLEASE.
• New lids and rings a “MUST”. Please fill jars to proper depth.
• Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string
28. Mild Salsa
29. Apple Sauce
(do not use colour enhancements)
30. Dill Pickles
32. Beet Pickles
JAMS AND JELLIES
33. Strawberry Jam
34. Rhubarb Jam
35. Family Favourite Jam, identify
BERNARDIN HOME CANNING AWARDS
• All entrants into the contests must submit entries that were made using Bernardin product.
• Use of Bernardin mason jar/snap lid must accompany each entry, as proof of purchase. Entries will be judged on appearance, texture, creativity or recipe and presentation. Decision of fair judge is final. First place winners must submit proof of purchase, photograph and signed release form giving Bernardin permission to use, without payment, the winner’s name and/or photograph in any publicity
PRIZES FOR SECTIONS 59-60:
1st $20 Gift Certificate; 2nd $10; 3rd $5
36. Bernardin Jam/Jelly Award Best low/no sugar jam using Bernardin Pectin, identify and note any special features
37. Bernardin SNAP Lid/Mason Jar Creative Craft Award Decorative or functional homemade craft using a Bernardin mason jar(s) and/or 2-piece SNAP lid as selected by the judge
OAAS Rules for Chocolate Chip Cookie Competition
1. Contest is open to youth up to age 15 years (as of Dec. 31 of current year).
2. Plain chocolate chip cookies, with no nuts, must be no larger than 3” (6.75 cm) and no smaller than 2” (5 cm).
3. Almonte Fair entry must consist of 3 cookies displayed on a firm, disposable plate.
District & OAAS Cookie Competition Rules are available to those eligible upon winning at the local fair level, as well as on our website, www.almontefair.ca
DO YOU MAKE THE BEST CHILI or BAKED BEANS? “PROVE IT!!”
Saturday, July 15, 2017 @ 4:00pm
All entries must be in the designated area of Agricultural Hall by 3:00 pm on Saturday July 15, 2017
Judging will commence at 4 pm.
1st $50; 2nd $25; 3rd $10
• All entries must register at the office (obtain an entry number & tag.)
• All entries must be in electric crock pots.
• All entries to include a “list of ingredients”.
• All entries will be judged by the public.
• In order to judge the chili entries, a person must pay $2.00 which entitles them to judge each chili entry and includes a dinner roll and a bottle of water. Payment of $2.00 to be made at the Chili Cook-Off Site.