CLASS 2: Culinary Arts
CHAIRPERSON: Jennifer Villeneuve (613) 256-1586
Committee: Dianna Lachapelle, Donna Carpenter
RULES & REGULATIONS
See “RULES & REGULATIONS OF THE N.L.A.S.”
Entries accepted at main hall on Thursday July 12, 2018 from 3-10pm
Exhibits are to be picked up on Sunday, July 15, 2018 from 4-5pm
HOME BAKING TIPS FOR EXHIBITORS
- No commercial pie filling allowed.
- Place all food on paper plates & cover with Zip-Loc bag.
- No plastic wrap.
- Please attach entry tags to the outside of the plastic bags.
- Pies and cakes can be removed on Friday afternoon after 1pm as a slice of each will be displayed instead of the whole exhibit after judging.
- Our theme is “Grandma’s Kitchen” –
please try to include this in your entries!
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTIONS 1 – 3:
1st $20; 2nd – $15; 3rd $10
- Homecraft President’s Special:
A basket for Grandma to help out in the kitchen while she prepares tea. Including (3) raisin biscuits, homemade jam, an apron and a craft item to participate and help out for tea.
Sponsored by Betty Renaud, Homecraft Chair
- Lloyd and Dorothy Reid Memorial Special:
Queen Elizabeth Cake baked in an 8″ or 9″ square pan. First prize-winning entry will become property of the Sponsor.
Sponsored by The Reid Family, Almonte
- Cecil & Shirley Brydges Memorial Special:
Old fashioned raisin tea biscuits (3).
Sponsored by their twins, Donna (Rod Carpenter) & Dianna (Gilbert Lachapelle)
CARTER SHOWS SPECIALS
First prize entries for each special become the property of Carter Shows.
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTION 4:
1st $40; 2nd – $25; 3rd $10
- Carter Shows Apple Pie Special
8” or 9” Double crust apple pie
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTION 5:
1st $25; 2nd – $15; 3rd $10
- Carter Shows Butter Tart Special, 4 to be exhibited
PRIZE MONEY FOR SECTIONS 6 to 35
(Unless otherwise stated):
1st $15; 2nd – $10; 3rd $5
BREADS AND BUNS, MUFFINS AND COOKIES
- Tea Biscuits (3)
- Banana Bread, mini or one half loaves to be displayed
- White Buns (3)
- Bran Muffins (3) no liners
- Lemon Squares, include recipe (3)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie, include recipe (3)
- Cookies made from a cake mix, include recipe (3)
3 pieces to be exhibited
- Chocolate Fudge
- Family Favourite Candy, include recipe
TARTS AND PIES
*After judging exhibitor may pick up their pie entered, minus 1 piece, on Friday July 19, 2018. Please indicate if you will be picking up your pie or donating it to NLAS.
- Pie Crust baked in a pan
- Butterscotch Pie, whole pie
- Strawberry tarts (3)
- White Cake, ½ cake
- Decorated Cupcakes, using theme (3). Only decorations to be judged.
- Failure! Any baked item that didn’t turn out.
Junior / Youth
- OAAS Chocolate Chip Cookie Competition, 3, see rules at end of this section.
CHILDREN 7-10 YEARS
- No Bake Cookies (3)
- Best Trail Mix, 500ml in Ziploc bag
CHILDREN 11-14 YEARS
- Decorated Rice Krispie Squares (3)
- Decorated Cupcake, using the fair theme. Only decoration to be judged.
CHILDREN 15-18 YEARS
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (3)
- Decorated Cake, 1 layer, using fair theme. Only decoration to be judged.
TIPS FOR EXHIBITORS
- Any size sealed jars will be accepted. Any jars not properly sealed will be disqualified. NO WAX PLEASE.
- New lids and rings a “MUST”. Please fill jars to proper depth.
- Fasten entry tag securely on each jar with an elastic or string
- Mild Salsa
- Apple Sauce
(do not use colour enhancements)
- Dill Pickles
- Icicle Pickles
- Beet Pickles
JAMS AND JELLIES
- Strawberry Jam
- Rhubarb Jam
- Family Favourite Jam, identify
BERNARDIN HOME CANNING AWARDS
- All entrants into the contests must submit entries that were made using Bernardin product.
- Use of Bernardin mason jar/snap lid must accompany each entry, as proof of purchase. Entries will be judged on appearance, texture, creativity or recipe and presentation. Decision of fair judge is final. First place winners must submit proof of purchase, photograph and signed release form giving Bernardin permission to use, without payment, the winner’s name and/or photograph in any publicity
PRIZES FOR SECTIONS 36-37:
1st $20 Gift Certificate; 2nd $10; 3rd $5
- Bernardin Jam/Jelly Award Best low/no sugar jam using Bernardin Pectin, identify and note any special features
- Bernardin SNAP Lid/Mason Jar Creative Craft Award Decorative or functional homemade craft using a Bernardin mason jar(s) and/or 2-piece SNAP lid as selected by the judge